Seeing the poor kid at the last second, I luckily adjusted my body as my foot was on its way down, stumbling awkwardly into the street. While the kid didn’t stir from his sleep, I sure was shaken up by the whole thing…
It’s so sad to see all of these kids on the streets, knowing that formal education is out of the question and they have essentially no real chance in life. From ages 0-3, these kids will be used as props by their mothers as the moms beg car to car in dangerous interactions. (It goes like this: The kids, who are typically naked, are held in their mothers’ arms. When the mom approaches a car, she’ll often subtlety dig her nails into the young kid’s leg or pinch his skin, eliciting a wail that the mother hopes will result in more money. It’s horrible.)From ages 4-6 these kids will start begging on their own. I’ve had kids run barefoot next my rickshaw in heavy traffic for half a mile yelling “boss, boss – 10 Taka boss.” Reminiscent of times spent hanging out with my niece and nephews – only nowhere near as fun – I once had a kid grab my leg, slide down it and sit on my foot, then wrap his arms and legs tightly around my leg. As the kid's brothers and sisters quickly surrounded me, it became a very difficult situation to get out of...
From age 7 or so on, the kids that have survived the harsh life on the streets will have graduated to trying to sell you something, often flower necklaces or bags of who-knows-how-old popcorn. The sophistication continues into the kids’ teens, as they’ll move on to selling street maps or photocopied books. (The books I usually get offered are: Lonely Planet Bangladesh, Barack Obama’s “Dreams from my Father”/ “The Audacity of Hope,” and Khaled Hosseini's “Kite Runner.”)Realizing my donations can only go so far in a country of 160 million people, I often set a limit for what I’ll give each day and then split up my budget into small amounts. Occasionally I’ll give a mother 100 Taka or so, which is only $1.50 but is equivalent to what a brick worker might make in an entire day. The look that flashes on a person’s face when they realize their kids will have something to eat the following day is pretty amazing…
Man, oh man. How lucky I am to have grown up in a country where opportunities abound (even in a recession) and “sleeping in the gutter” is only a figure of speech…
Matt,
ReplyDeleteThanks for giving us an accurate account of daily life. Thanks also for being the person that you are. While I often have a different approach to patriotism than many Americans, it's great that a some people in the world can now see that we all are not like what our image had been portrayed over the last 8 years!
Matt, coincidentally the New York Times' "Ethicist" column today had an item on how a tourist should handle begging children in India (see here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/magazine/03wwln-ethicist-t.html?scp=3&sq=beggars%20India&st=cse).
ReplyDeleteBilly Ha,
ReplyDeleteWhat you described is just a normal day in their lives. Can you imagine what a bad day consists of for them? When I here my friends/family talk about bad days it usually involves being late to work, a car that won't start, a delayed flight, etc. Every time I think I'm having a bad day, I think of the people you just talked about and that usually puts things into perspective for me and makes me realize how spoiled I have been my whole life.
Keep posting mi amigo.
Williams/Hendrikson 2020!