For 4 Tk. ($0.05), you get a PIPING HOT cup of cha.
As it's part of the office culture, I usually go down with the guys once or twice a day.

On an especially hot afternoon (110 plus Houston-like humidity), I finally asked about the logic behind our sweaty little breaks.
Faruk's response: "In math, a negative times a negative equals a positive. In Bangladesh, we believe that hot plus hot equals cold."
Right... So if I really want to stay cool, maybe I should take a hot shower then build a camp fire??
UPDATE: Thinking about it more, some of the hotter places on the planet (e.g., India, Mexico) are also countries famous for their spicy foods.
Is there actually something physiological behind the idea of "cutting the heat with something HOT"?
If you have any explanations or ideas, let me know...
After you finally finish that hot cup of tea you feel much cooler - so it's a little temporary discomfort in order to feel better post fact.
ReplyDeleteAn anecdote to illustrate this is a child keeps on complaining how cold it is in the house during the winter and that they should raise the thermostat. The father tells the kid to stay outside in the cold for a few minutes. As soon as the kid gets back into the house he feels warm and doesn't need the heat to be raised.