Sunday, April 19, 2009

shifted perspectives (VAL)

Although I know what we all really want to hear about is Matt's adventures in Bangladesh (ahem, reluctant blogger, hint hint...), someone mentioned wanting updates on my life in NYC as well, so I'll oblige.

I got back to the city a couple of days ago after a week in Dhaka. Went for a run in Central Park with my friend, and just could not get over how clean the sidewalks were on my way to the park, or how quiet the traffic noise was down 5th Ave, or how pleasant the weather was (sunny, slight breeze, zero humidity). I mentioned this to my friend, who laughed in reply, saying that quiet, clean, and arid aren't usually the top 3 adjectives that come to mind to describe Manhattan. Looking back, I remember moving to the city and finding the humidity unbearable, the constant train and traffic noise deafening, and the streets filthy with trash and dog poop. But after a week in Dhaka, NYC seems serene. How quickly our perspectives can change!

1 comment:

  1. Today is the first time I logged on, and I had to read every entry! You both have a gift for putting things into perspective and communicates the implications of what you are experiencing, not just the experiences themselves. I look forward to future entries. Matt's Uncle Joel.

    ReplyDelete