After just over two weeks, I stepped on a scale and realized I had lost a cool 15 pounds. I knew something wasn’t right, as I had dropped two full notches in my favorite belt. Losing approximately a pound a day, I figured, I’d weigh about 40-50 lbs when I return to NYC in a few months.
A friend jokingly calls it the “Third World Thirty,” which for him meant losing 35 lbs in the first year here. As fat Americans, we’re bulked up on genetically engineered over-sized chicken breasts, which left me in a bit of a shock when I went with my colleagues the first day to the “canteen” for lunch. I had heard that the cows and chickens in Bangladesh are among the skinniest in the world, but after picking through the decrepit bundle of chicken bones that first day, I knew I had to figure something else out for lunch.
Accordingly, I’ve gone back to my elementary days and fallen in love again with PB&J sandwiches. With lots of fat and 8 grams of protein per serving, peanut butter is a good start! I usually have PB&J for lunch and an epic feast each night for dinner (at one of the restaurants near my place), which I think will help my weight bounce back a bit.
At this point, however, I think I’d be nothing more than a slap-hitting 8-hole hitter if I returned to the fast-pitch softball team at this point… Sorry fellas – I’m pretty scrawny.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment