Matt and I like to take rickshaws up and down Gulshan Avenue, the main drag in the expat neighborhood. Once we're riding down the street in our little carriage, without fail every rickshawallah -- and many pedestrians -- will stare at us as we pass. I've often wondered what the other rickshawallahs are thinking as they watch our driver lug us around. On one hand, as bideshis (foreigners) we have more money to spend and tip much more lavishly than 99% of locals, so a good rickshawallah can earn half of his daily income with our one fare, which is determined beforehand by haggling. On the other hand, we are two BIG bideshis, both tall even for American standards (6'3" and 5'8") and no lightweights either (over halfway into his "third-world thirty", Matt still weighs over 200lbs.). These little rickshawallahs must be pulling at least four times their weight, and that's not counting the cart.
So the question I keep wondering is, are the stares from other rickshawallahs in envy or pity?
No comments:
Post a Comment